Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Environment

Landfill fire started by unknown individual

Officials have concluded that someone lit the fire that caused toxic fumes to permeate the air at the Cooks Landfill on Thursday evening.

Chairman of the National Solid Waste Management Authority (NSWMA), Michael Joseph said there was evidence to support the claim. A tyre mount was on fire, he told Twin Island Media.

“Based on where the fire started, we were able to conclude that it was lit, and whether accidentally or intentionally, it was started by some individual or individuals.”

“There were vehicle trails leading to the back and so because of where it was located this is not a fire zone so we don’t have spontaneous fires there. As a matter of fact that area is quite water logged,” he continued.

Various agencies including the fire service and the police, worked through the night to keep the fire under control. At about 3am, Joseph said the fire was 90% extinguished and fully contained.

In a press statement, the waste authority warned members of the public to “cease and desist from malicious acts” that disrupt the landfill’s operation and cause public health implications.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

error: Content is protected !!
en_USEnglish